Sunday, November 25, 2007

Watching From the Ground: Chapter 1: The First Sign

I felt scared out of my wits. I was looking at my brother's still body at the foot of the cliff that I was standing at the top of. Only seconds ago, Jared had been standing here, right next to me, looking over the edge of the cliff. He can't be dead, he just can't be, I thought.
"Are you all right?" I yelled down to him.
"Yeah" he said in a tired voice that I could barely hear.
As quick as I could, I ran down the side of the cliff, toward my nearly broken brother.
As soon as I reached him, still gasping for breath, I said, "Wow. I can't believe you even lived that fall. How did you survive?"
"I don't know," he said in equal amazement, "But almost as soon as I fell, I had the greatest feeling running through me, and it felt like my fall had slowed down. It felt great until I hit the bottom."
" I thought there was something weird going on when you never started screaming," I said, remembering that terrifying and strange instant.
Silently, I helped my aching brother to his aching feet. Then, he said in exhaustion and pain, "Either way, it hurt, so let's get home and get Mom."
And we began the long walk home.
And even no I didn't know why, the thing that scared me the most was that he actually enjoyed the fall. I knew that somehow, it would lead to trouble.

No comments: